Wow I've Really Come a Long Way

I am currently on my way to completely hacking the way the LG LX350 adds/stores/deletes: Games, Apps, Ringers, and Screensavers. So far I figured out how to edit many different elements of this "database" of Apps, etc.

Here's a brief summary of what I figured out so far:
  • How to add entries in the phones database so that I can add games, and apps. This allows me to pretend the phone installed something.
  • How to remove entries and "notify" the phone about that [equivalent to uninstalling]
  • How to add ringers and images [and screensavers which is basically interchangable with images to the phone (drawback: I have not completed ringers yet... See below for how to help...)
  • How to update the different file pointers for camera images [basically], voice memos, ringers[limited] , and screensavers.
  • How to store (better said, "install") the apps/games in different sections
  • I also have much more knowledge about the "memo" database system.
So, as you can see, I'm making good progress...

BUT there's still a long way to go!

However, there is some help that I need from you:

1. I don't have any Ringers installed on my phone. I need some information, such as the type of ringer the LX350 accepts. [e.g. mp3,m4a,qcp,wav...?] I also need people to send me some info from their phones so that I can figure out the ringer part of it. [I have apps, and screensavers cause they came along with the phone]. All I need are two files from your phone. Here's how to help out:

Load up BitPim and view the filesystem. Go to the folder brew/shared/ams/db Over there you will see a number of files. Save the files "contentinfo" and "executioninfo", and send them to me. [Whoops forgot 'bout the email. Will post one soon...] I will then analize how different ringer formats are stored, etc.

It would also be helpful if you have images as well. Please Note: by sending me this file I will have absolutely no access to the actual content. The file only contains a database which your phone uses to organize all the data. There is no need to be concerned about privacy [or piracy] issues.

2. Please comment this post to show your support for a program to Add games,apps,etc. to your LX350. Most of the feedback I have gotten so far revolved around "The LX350 has been discontinued". It seems to me that not that many people have this phone, so I keep thinking why bother? I need to see if there really is a "market" for this phone.

On the way to finally crackin' this phone... Wish me Luck!

Thank You!!!

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi there,
I use Working Assets Wireless, a company that makes donations to nonprofits. They use Sprint as their carrier, and I just got an LG350, one of the phones they offer. (Still: They seem to use hand-me-downs!)

Its camera was one of the reasons I got it, so I was thrilled to find your page. I'm also a techie, so the addition of the other stuff is interesting too.

Thanks so much for your work!
-Dan
AW said…
As for the ring tones, can't you create a voice snipit, upload that to the phone, then assign it through there to be a ringtone?
Charlie said…
I also use Working Assets. I have the LG350BR... will what you're doing work the same for this phone? I hope so because I want to transfer contacts from my old LG to this one and add ring tones.

Thanks for your work!
Charlie
mikelietz said…
I can't speak to ringers per se, but the voice memos that I use as ringers are saved in QCP format.

I've had no luck replacing or adding them with QPST, however.
ytvhs said…
To alexander: Thanks for your suggestion, but there seems to be quite a "lock" on the methods used for adding/replacing voice memos. You see, I tried all sorts of different tricks, but the phone seems to know exactly what it saved, and will not take anything I made. As mikelietz correctly pointed out [see his comment...]
mikelietz said…
I now have custom ringers courtesy of a $2 cable from dealextreme - I'm connecting the headphone jack of my computer to the headset jack on the phone. Re-recording means it sounds kinda crappy, but it's cheap.

They are stored as QCP voice memos, as mentioned before.
Anonymous said…
I also have a Working Assets, ahem, Credo, LG 350.

Is there no hope for a bluetooth connection to move pictures, contacts, audio on and off the phone? You have to buy a cable, right?
ytvhs said…
To Anonymous,
Yup, the part of Bluetooth that allows file transfers is blocked out (at least in Sprint phones)... Basically Bluetooth can only be used for headsets (and the like), Dial Up Networking (DUN), and vCard and vCalendar transfers. At least as far as I am aware of. Trying anything else will give errors.
As far as what a cable can do, see my blog articles.
Of course you can always use the Sprint internet services to transfer things. I'm talking about free wise!
Anonymous said…
This phone is also capable of using MP3 and I believe AAC encoded MP4's. I've uploaded a couple of songs to the phone via the net.

To get access to the PIM...you might be able to use J2ME to access it. There's references to modifying your policy.txt file using BitPim all over the net, which would allow you to enable PIM in J2ME. But...this is technically a violation of your contract, since it "circumvents security measures" on the phone. But my question is: What security measures?!? Sprint has the file wide open and accessible in the file-system, and it's a standard text file with read/write permissions! There's no security what-so-ever to circumvent!

But yeah...can you post what you've gotten to work so far so that everyone else can enjoy? I plan to retire my LX350 when my Sprint contract is up, and I have some plans for it's afterlife (using it as a robotics controller.)
ytvhs said…
Oh that's nice to know. (about the mp3, mp4)...

As far as J2ME I know about that (I also develop J2ME apps) but it won't help much for getting it on to your pc... It's specifically something which the apps could use. The best way to work with the PIM (through the cable) would be to use the built in methods of the phone (which unfortunately I'm not too familiar with)... These are the methods BitPim uses on supported phones, and they are generally not through reading files. There is a special advanced method.

And as for where I'm holding: I figured out a lot about the internal databases on the phone. It won't really help you too much if I post it.

Currently I'm working on possibly developing a profile for BitPim for the LG LX350. Wish me luck ;-)
Anonymous said…
Thanks so much for the blog posts, I will have to pickup an OEM cable this week, I did see this one on ebay; what do ya think?.

I have the LX350 for a while and as a phone is works well. But I have never been happy about the fact that my pictures have had to stay on the phone and the cable is like $40 at the Sprint Store. I even bought a Bluetooth adapter only to find out Sprint was lame and locked up the key features.
GravyMatt said…
Finally, bought a USB cable but I can't get it to work with Bit Pim. I tried two PC's running WinXP with no luck. The current machine spits out these errors.

Phone Detection Failed – No phone detected/recognized. Run Settings?

I did check off the View > View File System. When I click the icon of the folder "/" I get this error?

Failed to automatically detect port – Failed to auto-detect port to use. I couldn’t detect any candidate ports.

I have a Mac G4 at home with 10.4 and will try the phone and usb cable there?

Any thoughts would be appreciated?
AggieKyle said…
I have an LX350, love it, one of the best phones I've ever owned.

For someone like you I have what is probably a very simple question, but I can't seem to find the answer:

How do I create/install animated screensavers?

Like the Paper Airplane screen saver that comes pre-loaded on the phone. I've tried loading animated GIFs to the phone but it won't display them. I'm not sure what file type that Paper Airplane screensaver is, but whatever it is the phone obviously comes pre-loaded with the ability to display that file type. Do you know what file type that is?
ytvhs said…
AggieKyle:

I know what ur talking about when u say "paper airplane". As far as i know, the built in ones are built in: I don't exactly know the format. However, I do know that you could set videos you take on the phone as screen savers...
AggieKyle said…
Yeah I know about the video clip as backgrounds thing, but I would like to be able to create animated graphics for backgrounds.

Does anyone know what file format the animated backgrounds are.
I cannot even get my BITPIM to recognize the phone, not even in file view. Is there a for dummies guide?

Popular posts from this blog

Using Phone With Data Cable and BitPim

Introduction